Freeloading Guardian Ad Litem Brags About Perks.

So I hope everyone either got teabagged or teabagged somebody else yesterday, depending on your preference. Personally, I think a healthy public discussion of teabagging can only be a good thing.
Meanwhile, here is freeloader Edward B. Kaplan boasting about all the perks of being a Guardian Ad Litem:
Funds that may be cut are badly needed for Guardian ad Litem staff and office expenses. None of those funds go to the volunteer guardians. I have been a volunteer for 2 ½ years and have made a difference in the lives of 10 children.Free parking, huh -- what do you think, that kind of stuff grows on trees? I suppose you want taxpayers to pay your mortgage too, Eddy. Try harder my friend -- two and half years and you've only helped 10 kids? I want that parking money back, buddy.Although I've logged more than 300 hours and 3,000 miles, the only thing I've received is free parking at the Broward County Courthouse. I rely heavily on my supervisor, program attorney and support staff to help me do this job. They must be paid.
The Broward Guardian Ad Litem program has seen a huge increase in cases and in volunteers to the program, which should be expanded, not reduced.
Speaking of freeloading, I see that H&K may cut its commitment to pro bono:
The firm’s prized Chesterfield Smith Fellowship Program — named for the firm’s larger-than-life founder — and its 100-hour billable hour credit for pro bono work could go on the chopping block as Holland & Knight’s leaders complete a restructuring plan in the next month or two.There's no other way to increase productivity other than cut the pro bono programs? Hmm, I wonder what Chesterfield would think of these changes. Just change the name of your firm and be done with it, Steve.
Pro bono cutbacks would be a seismic shift in the firm’s culture and image “as a firm that cares,” which is an important recruiting tool, a source said on condition of anonymity.
“The identity of Holland & Knight is pro bono, diversity and the firm that cares,” the source said. “If you take out that identity and say, ‘We’re only committed to profit, not pro bono, diversity nor quality of life,’ you’ll be taking away the very qualities that would attract” high-quality attorneys.
In an e-mailed statement, Steven Sonberg, the firm’s managing shareholder, confirmed last week that Holland & Knight is considering changes to its pro bono program but he did not provide any specifics.
I'm calling it early to hit the waves, should be around later today.
This entry was posted on at 1:02 AM. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.
- No comments yet.
VIP Followers
Info recommended by:
Webpages of law
Popular entries
-
500 Coke employees lost their health insurance the day after they went on strike. The union has sued under ERISA , claiming the action wa...
-
Two weeks ago, a Florida man was arrested for logging on to his Facebook account and requesting that his estranged wife list him as a "...
-
The average cost of family health insurance coverage rose 3% to $13,770 in 2010, while at the same time the employee's share of the c...
-
UPDATE: There is pending legislation for major changes to the alimony statute in Massachusetts. The Alimony Reform Act of 2011 was filed on...
-
There are four house bills that propose changes to the current custody statute. However, H.1306 and H.2684 are practically the same, though...
-
Well kids I plan to scoot out of here shortly, to begin my long solemn weekend regimen of prayer , reflection , and expanding my abdomen , s...
-
Image courtesy of FreeFoto.com This is the first post in our series evaluating the potential of Custody Reform in Massachusetts. Before you...
-
According to a New York Times article , the New York State legislature recently approved legislation that would allow No-Fault divorces in N...
-
If you live in Massachusetts, by now you've probably heard about Alimony Reform. Both the House and Senate have passed the Alimony Refo...
-
The second senate bill that proposes amendments to the current custody statute is S00847. This proposal was filed in the Senate on January ...