3d DCA Watch -- "Actions Have Consequences" Edition


Well given that there were only three civil opinions released this week and one is a glorified PCA and two are United Auto cases, I thought I would do a short 3d DCA Watch and head over to the Federal Bar luncheon early to see if Judge Jordan wanted to have a quick game of pick up football in the Bankers Club lobby.
(Judge Gold, don't worry -- you can be all-time-QB!)
But then I came across this interview of Nicole Kidman discussing her marriage:
'I've explored obsession. I've explored loss and love in terms of being in a grief-stricken place, I've explored strange sexual fetish stuff, I've explored the mundane aspect of marriage, and monogamy,' Kidman said.'You work on it,' she went on of marriage. 'It's a very extraordinary, adventurous place to be: incredibly raw, incredibly dangerous and you're very much out at sea. You're exposed. You could drown.'
'When you commit to someone like that, you live and die together by that decision.'Holy hail -- is this a marriage or Basic Instinct?
All I can say is Tom, you really did a number on her.
I want to focus on this United Auto opinion by Judge Shepherd because I think it encapsulates the way this Judge approaches the law.
As usual, it's a second-tier cert appeal of a circuit court appellate division PCA of a county court decision that went against United Auto.
The first thing that's notable is Judge Shepherd spends an unusual amount of time detailing the basis for the Court's jurisdiction. In fact, you don't even get to the facts section until page 3. This is consistent with the Judge's limited jurisprudential approach.
The second thing I found interesting is you don't learn the outcome of the appeal until page 7 -- most judges will summarize the outcome (affirmed, reversed etc.) up front.
Way to keep your audience guessing, Judge!
Third, this is another example of Judge Shepherd taking a very close and narrow read of a statute -- in this case section 627.736(4)(b), which apparently does not require an insurer to ever respond to an insured's request for payment under a PIP policy:
In fact, carefully parsed, it is clear there is neither a requirement nor a deadline for a personal injury protection insurer to respond to a request for payment.So under the statute an insurer can simply ignore a request forever.
Finally, there are Judge Shepherd's usual turns of phrase:
However, actions have consequences.And this:
Accordingly, while there is no absolute deadline for the payment of a properly presented personal injury protection claim, there is a cost—and, indeed, ever increasing risk—to a miscreant insurer who does not treat its customers properly. This is the manner in which the legislature has chosen to regulate insurers in matters of this type.Here that, all you "miscreant insurers" out there in "miscreant insurer land"?
Don't blame us -- blame your legislature (yet another recurrent theme).
Ok, I got me some football to play!
This entry was posted on at 9:13 AM and is filed under 3d DCA, Federal Bar Association, Frank Shepherd, Judge Adalberto Jordan. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.
- No comments yet.
VIP Followers
Info recommended by:
Webpages of law
Popular entries
-
500 Coke employees lost their health insurance the day after they went on strike. The union has sued under ERISA , claiming the action wa...
-
Two weeks ago, a Florida man was arrested for logging on to his Facebook account and requesting that his estranged wife list him as a "...
-
The average cost of family health insurance coverage rose 3% to $13,770 in 2010, while at the same time the employee's share of the c...
-
UPDATE: There is pending legislation for major changes to the alimony statute in Massachusetts. The Alimony Reform Act of 2011 was filed on...
-
There are four house bills that propose changes to the current custody statute. However, H.1306 and H.2684 are practically the same, though...
-
Image courtesy of FreeFoto.com This is the first post in our series evaluating the potential of Custody Reform in Massachusetts. Before you...
-
The second senate bill that proposes amendments to the current custody statute is S00847. This proposal was filed in the Senate on January ...
-
Well kids I plan to scoot out of here shortly, to begin my long solemn weekend regimen of prayer , reflection , and expanding my abdomen , s...
-
(BY HUGO) A report from MARSH Canada, A Review of Water-Related Opportunities and Threats , outlines insurance issues in the sector to ensur...
-
There are two ways to ask this question: Can I start dating while my divorce case is pending? and Should I start dating while my divorce cas...