Question of the Week: Will my new job affect my Bankruptcy filing?

I have been out of work for some time, my bills have gotten out of hand, and I need to file for Bankruptcy. I may be getting a new job soon. Will my new job affect my Bankruptcy filing?

If a would-be Chapter 7 debtor were to see a significant change in their income before filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, there is a risk that the debtor would no longer qualify under the Chapter 7 Means Test, and must file under Chapter 13. While Chapter 13 Bankruptcies are often effective in allowing a debtor to cure mortgage arrearages and keep their house, if the debtor’s intention is to pursue liquidation of all assets (including the house) or does not have real property to protect, your increased income would be required by the U.S. Trustee to fund the Chapter 13 plan, and not be used for other costs/expenses. In this case, a Chapter 7 Petition should be filed before any increase in income.

VIP Followers

Info recommended by: Webpages of law

Popular entries